None of us enjoys thinking about what would happen after we pass on, but the cold reality is that it’s better to handle these details now rather than leave them to our loved ones to deal with after we’re gone.
Having an estate plan in place not only makes a smoother transition possible for our family, but it also ensures our wishes are known and carried out as we intend.
Moreover, it’s important to revise our estate plan and keep it up-to-date whenever we experience life changes such as getting married, buying
a home, or having children.
Here are a few questions you need to consider:
- Who will be the executor of your will?
- Who will eventually receive and benefit from your money and property?
- Who will take care of your minor children if you cannot?
- Who will take care of your pets if you cannot?
- How you will be cared for should you no longer be able to care for yourself?
- What life-prolonging medical care do you want to receive if you are unable to make your wishes known?
- How will you carry on your legacy of support for the organizations close to your heart?
Fortunately, the Red Cross can help you navigate the ins and outs of estate planning.
If you would like information about our service, please contact our Gift Planning Officer, Carol Eames. She will send you a free copy of Touching the Future, which is a guide and workbook to help you get started. You can reach Carol at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 503-528-5441.
Carol also wrote an article for the Portland Business Journal that tells what it was like for her to walk through the estate planning process herself: Estate and Charitable Planning.
In the article, she suggests ways to make the experience easier. The Red Cross has another link on our website with more information to assist you as well: Estate Planning
In addition, the Red Cross is offering free seminars that provide an introduction to estate planning. Our presenter is Richard Schneider, an estate planning attorney at Schneider Rasche and the author of A Will Is Not Enough in Oregon.
Please join us for either of two sessions at our Cascades Regional Headquarters, located at 3131 N. Vancouver Avenue, Portland, OR 97227. We hope to see you there!
Tuesday, April 17, 6:30 to 8 p.m. OR Thursday, April 19, noon to 1 p.m.