When I followed up with Larry — a paramedic of 23 years and clearly an excellent guy to have around in emergency — he sent on a little more info.
It was a very unique experience. I just pray that someone would do it for me. It truly is a hopeless and embarrassing feeling for the victim. She said to me afterwards that she was thinking about going into the restroom to try deal with it herself, which scared me even more. She would have not had enough oxygen to come back out.
Please tell people that they must do the universal sign for choking (see photo). What shocked me was that she just was standing there. Her eyes got real big. I don’t think others knew exactly what was going on.
The lady I saved and I are now Facebook friends; I feel like I am a part of her family. It could have been my mother or sister.
Thanks, Larry, for sharing your story. And if you want to be able to spot the signs and save a life yourself, consider taking a CPR class (where we promise to also teach you abdominal thrusts).