Over the weekend, you might have heard about the terrible storms and devastating flooding that has hit the Midwest. While the American Red Cross is — of course — responding, our own chapter is helping out as well, sending six people to Iowa and Indiana.
Here’s who they are and what they’ll be doing:
- Al D., Vancouver — Coordinating liaison activities with local, state and federal government partners
- Margie T., Estacada — Securing facilities, supplies and equipment required for an effective response
- Carolyn S., Seaside — Providing mental health and emotional support
- Kurt K., Portland — Providing shelter and a warm place to sleep for those affected
- Mike R., Wood Village — Providing relief, clean-up and salvage supplies, including flashlights, food coolers and gloves
- Kathleen P., Boring — Providing relief, clean-up and salvage supplies, including flashlights, food coolers and gloves
If Mike Redlin wasn’t already one of my favorite volunteers, he would be now. He has happily done interviews this morning with KEX and KXL radio and may be helping with some TV requests this afternoon. Thanks Mike!
Good luck to our deploying volunteers and to the Midwest as they face more bad weather and a long recovery. If you live in the area, make sure to register on Safe and Well so your friends and family know you’re okay.
(AP Photo/The Indianapolis Star, Matt Kryger)